Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

The one about the best food ever



Last night Cameron and I had the most amazing dinner either one of us had ever experienced. Chez TJ is a contemporary French cuisine restaurant, located in a historic Victorian house in Mountain View (built in 1894!). They have all these little dining rooms, and we had a seat by the window. We decided to go with the Chef's Menu, since this gave you a tasting of all the items on the menu, making it a ten-course meal! Let me tell you... it. was. to. die. for. The staff was very polite, and paid attention to every detail. This is the kind of place where you leave your table to go to the restroom and without fail, someone is at your table in seconds flat folding your napkin. 

The first item that arrived was part of the 'Amuse'. It was called Pot of Earth, and I don't quite remember what it was made of but it was a cold pudding type of texture made of corn, topped with a brown crumbly thing (I should definitely be in the food review business) that was the "dirt" and it was topped with a sprouting grass embellishment. The presentation of every item was immaculate, and I truly felt the artistry that went into each dish. Compliments to the executive chef Jarad Gallagher. That dude's got some serious talent. Next was a Fried Egg, which was coated with a tempura in a perfect sphere (how do they do that?!) and served with creme fraiche, and caviar. Amazing. 

Waygu beef tar-tar was served with chopped arugula, fig, balsamic vincotto, and a sliced truffle on top. It was slightly spicy and delicious (although, I still have a hard time with the mental idea of eating raw beef, I forced myself to block that out). The next item was the Chez Garden plate (ingredients straight from their very own garden in the back), which consisted of heirloom tomatoes, a tiny deviled egg, goat cheese, banyuls vinaigrette, and a tomato macaroon that tasted exactly like tomato soup. It was topped with all these tiny bubbles (mystery ingredient), reminiscent of what you see on the top of a bubble bath. What? I know.

Sea robin was up next, and it was served with avocado compote with tiny slices of jalapeño and red pepper, and shoyu. Then came the duck, and oh my goodness. This dish was the favorite for both of us. Just simply the best duck I have ever had, hands down. It was served with a liver mousse, and I don’t usually like anything to do with liver, but it didn’t even matter. The flavors were so complimentary. The main course was a roasted South Texas antelope. This was a first for me and Cameron. It was served with bloomsdale spinach, gooseberries, and cashew. Cameron ordered us an optional plate of cheese. We don’t remember what kind it was (sadly), but it was phenomenal. The flavor was strong and the texture was the softest of any cheese. It had sliced truffle in the middle. Délicieux. For the intermezzo, we had a cucumber fresca to cleanse our palette. It was a pineapple sorbet, and cucumber soda was poured on top. Very refreshing and tart.

For dessert, the first plate was Sangria On Ice, with a sorbet of citrus, berries, and stone fruit (which tasted like how Michaels craft store smells, but not in a bad way surprisingly enough – this made us laugh), and another sorbet of vanilla. The final dessert was a milk chocolate nutter butter made with praline, peanut butter, and a chocolate top layer. It was served with a side of yogurt sorbet. Rich and chocolaty goodness! It didn’t end there though, because they brought out a plate of mignardise and it said ‘Happy Anniversary’ spelled out on the plate in caramel. They were bites of pistachio and a really tart jelly which was probably composed of various berries.

And that was our meal. I am in no way a food writer, obviously, but doesn’t all of that sound incredible? I wrote this so I can remember it. I consider myself a bit of a foodie, but after last night I am full blown aficionado. I feel like I must add top notch restaurants to my bucket list, and eat all the things!



No comments:

Post a Comment